The Israel Numismatic Society
Arie Kindler, in memoriam
Dr. Arie Kindler, passed away last Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014, at the age of 94.
Dr. Kindler was born on February 17, 1920 in Berlin. From his early childhood he turned to archaeology. One of his early memories was the opening of the Pergamon museum in his hometown Berlin. He arrived in Israel with his family in 1933 after his father realized the impending danger. He joined the Hagana in 1938, serving for 10 years, followed by a service in the Israel Defense Forces from 1948 and reserve service until 1975. During the early 1940s, he used to browse the merchandise of Arab peddlers selling antiquities and coins in the Jerusalem market and became an ardent collector. Though he was deeply interested in ancient history in general and Jewish history in particular, his real devotion was the study of coins. He concentrated on ancient numismatics, becoming a leading authority on Hasmonean coinage.
Dr. Kindler stood at the cradle of the circle for ancient coins, founded on May 10, 1945, which became the Israel Numismatic society in 1949. In 1962 he founded the Kadman Numismatic Pavilion of the Eretz Israel Museum, Tel-Aviv (formerly Haaretz Museum), serving as its director and curator for 35 years. The museum started with a collection of 2000 coins donated by Leo Kadman (who also financed the building), 1000 from Kindler's own collection and another 500 coins from Dr. Walter Moses’ collection. These coins became the nucleus of one of the largest and most important collections in Israel. During his 35 years at the Kadman Numismatic Pavilion, Dr. Kindler added some 80,000 items to its collections through donations, legacies and acquisitions. He curated numerous temporary numismatics exhibitions that attracted public interest, but his most important achievement was the opening of the permanent exhibition in 1988. His vision was that his new didactic exhibition should also tell the story of the development of means of payment, from its beginnings in the 7th century BCE to the modern era, emphasizing the history of Eretz Israel as reflected by its coins. Dr. Kindler believed that a curator must be also a researcher, and by the time that he completed his formal academic education, he was already a well-known scholar.
His extensive bibliography demonstrates his broad fields of interest and his important contributions to the study of Holy Land numismatics in general and Jewish numismatics in particular. Among his roles, he was the editor of 'Alon (the Hebrew Journal of the Israel Numismatic society published between 1966 and 1978), and member of the editorial board of the Israel Numismatic Journal. Dr. Kindler published more than 200 scholarly papers in different areas of numismatics, from the Persian period Yehud coins, through Hasmonean, first and second Jewish revolts, city coins, Byzantine and Islamic periods to the coinage of the state of Israel. His publications also included seven monographs on various numismatic subjects. He wrote his Ph.D. dissertation on the the coinage of Bostra, which was subsequently published as a book in 1983.
Dr. Kindler lectured at the Israel Numismatic Society and taught at the Department of Classical Studies of the Tel Aviv University (1974–1988) and at Bar Ilan University (1981–1992). He trained numerous students in numismatics, some of whom became experts in the field, as well as collectors, amateurs and the general public. He was the numismatic expert for many archaeological expeditions and published the excavation coin reports.
Arie Kindler is survived by his daughter, Yael, his two grandchildren, David and Chen, and three great-grandchildren
With his death the numismatic circles of Israel have lost one of their most active members, a great scholar and teacher. He will be missed and remembered with gratitude by his friends and colleagues.
Kadman Numismatic Pavilion, Eretz Israel Museum, Tel Aviv
Photo: Leonid Pedrol-Kavytkovsky
Just appeared (Jan. 2014)
Israel Numismatic Research 8 (2013)
Dear friends and colleagues,
We are happy to announce the publication of the book:
Gold Coin and Small Change: Monetary Circulation in Fifth-Seventh Century Byzantine Palestine
by Gabriela Bijovsky
published by EUT Edizioni Università di Trieste (in association with the Israel Numismatic Society),
Trieste , 2012. - p. 553 ; 24 cm ; ill., softback (ISBN 9788883034770).
This book presents scholars a comprehensive analysis of the local coinage that circulated in Palestine
from the death of Arcadius until the time of the Arab conquest in the 640s.
The book can be purchased directly via: http://eut.units.it/dettaglio?query=JID=483
(press "Acquista" in order to fill the order form).
Coins of the Holy Land: The Abraham and Marian Sofaer Collection at the American Numismatic Society and the Israel Museum. (Ancient Coins in North American Collections 8, 2013)
by Ya’akov Meshorer with Gabriela Bijovsky and Wolfgang Fischer-Bossert, and edited by David Hendin and Andrew Meadows
Ancient Art of the Holy Land
White Gold: Revealing the World's Earliest Coins
White Gold: Revealing the World's Earliest Coins
History and aims of the Society
The Israel Numismatic Society (INS) was founded in Tel Aviv on May 10, 1945. Its first president was David Nudelman. In 1956 the INS approved a charter, which laid out the objectives and functioning of the society until recently. Since then three branches, in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Haifa, grew up and have conducted regular monthly meetings. A joual on behalf of the INS, the Israel Numismatic Joual, was published, beginning in 1962. With the presidency of Prof. Dan Barag, the joual was reactivated (with Prof. Dan Barag as editor); ten volumes have appeared since 1980. Paralleling the growth of the state, the Israel Numismatic Society has greatly developed from its modest beginnings in 1945 as “The Numismatic Section of the Tel Aviv Circle of Amateurs of Antiquities.” Through the efforts and expertise of several people, from collectors to professors, the Society has advanced mode numismatic research in the small country. Several of its exceptional publications and jouals continue to broaden our understanding of financial and political events throughout Israel’s ancient and mode history. In March 17, 2006 an updated charter was unanimously approved by a general meeting of representatives from all of the branches. This updated charter will ensure that the INS will continue to function efficiently in the coming years.
For the full history of the INS click here
The main objectives of the INS are:
- the advancement and of the study of numismatics in Israel
- the encouragement of numismatic training and research on all levels among Israeli institutions and private individuals
- the administration of and coordination between the INS branches, in which lectures and other activities take place
- the holding of scientific conferences and symposia on numismatic subjects
- the cooperation with sister organizations abroad in general, and with the Commission Inteationale de Numismatique (CIN) in particular
- the collaboration with other Israeli academic organizations in tangential fields
- the publication on a regular basis of a scientific joual and related studies on its behalf.
The three INS branches in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Haifa conduct monthly meetings, which include lectures by professionals and collectors and seminars presented by the members. In addition, the members use the monthly meetings to exchange information and discuss coins on an informal basis.
The society will hold a plenary session once a year, preceded by a country-wide symposium.